Lease to Own
Enable Lease to Own for your Domain.
- Make your premium domain more accessible to potential buyers through monthly payment options
- Generate recurring monthly income with lease agreements from your domain portfolio
- Increase your chances of securing a higher sales price by offering a higher Buy It Now price paired with flexible monthly payment options
Lease to Own gives buyers flexibility to pick terms that work for them.
Lease to Own + GoDaddy Search.
Thanks to our partnership with GoDaddy, the world’s largest domain registrar, Lease to Own-enabled domain names at Afternic will be shown to potential buyers in GoDaddy Search!
Additional exposure for your Lease to Own listing at the world’s largest registrar
Show up where buyers search, with the biggest name in domains
A higher chance of selling compared with displaying Lease to Own terms on your landing page alone
How to enable Lease to Own on your domains.
Check your Buy It Now prices
Switch on Lease to Own
Select your Sales Lander
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Lease to Own?
How does Lease to Own work?
Lease to Own allows buyers to purchase a domain name over a set term of up to 60 months. Buyers select the desired term length, and we automatically split the total cost of the domain (plus applicable fees) over the number of months selected.
With the Lease to Own option, buyers can immediately start using the domain during the lease period, but the domain remains in a secure escrow account. After all of the payments are made, the domain is officially transferred to the buyer.
What are the benefits of enabling Lease to Own as a purchase option for my domains?
Enabling the Lease to Own payment plan for your domains can provide you, as a seller, with several benefits, including:
- Increased Sales Opportunities: With Lease to Own enabled, you can attract a wider range of buyers who may not have the upfront capital to purchase a domain outright. Lowering the financial barrier to purchase a domain can potentially result in more sales for you.
- Competitive Advantage: Offering flexible pricing allows you to stand out in the domain market against sellers who only offer traditional, upfront pricing – potentially making your domains more appealing to buyers.
- Recurring Revenue: Payouts to sellers occur on a regular, monthly schedule. This consistency allows you to establish a more predictable revenue stream than relying solely on one-time sales.
How do I list a domain for sale with Lease to Own?
Follow the below steps to enable Lease to Own on a domain:
- Login to your Afternic Portfolio.
- Ensure the domain(s) you wish to enable Lease to Own on have a Buy It Now price between $495 and $100,000.
- Select “On” in the Lease to Own column and follow the instructions to set your Max Lease to Own Period.
- Save changes.
Once you enable LTO for a domain, it turns on for all channels, including sales reps.
Which domains are eligible to list with Lease to Own?
What is the commission rate for Lease to Own domains?
Standard Afternic commission rates apply to Lease to Own, and sellers will benefit from commission discounts for longer term deals.
- Seller commission discount by term length:
- 2–12 months: no commission discount
- 13–24 months: 5% discount
- 25–36 months: 10% discount
- 37–60 months: 15% discount
For example, a seller lists their domain name for sale using one of Afternic’s approved nameservers eligible for a 15% commission rate, then sells the domain via Lease to Own for $30,000 with the buyer selecting a 37-month term. In this instance, the seller would receive a 15% commission discount, which would result in a 0% commission rate.
Do I still get a commission discount if the domain is paid off early?
Yes, the commission discount applied at payout does not change if the domain is paid off in full before the end of the lease period.
For more information on Lease to Own, please refer to the Help Center.